After I posted the first part of this list on Wednesday, I began focusing in on 1 Kings 8:56 that afternoon. Before I started to memorize that passage, I wanted to get a better understanding of what was happening in the passage. As many of you know, Solomon is building and dedicating the Temple in the first part of this book. As I skimmed those first several chapters and began to read the through chapter 8, I was struck by verse 28. Solomon began his prayer of dedication with these words:
O Lord, God of Israel, there is no God like you, in heaven above or on earth beneath, keeping covenant and showing steadfast love to your servants who walk before you with all their heart;
That verse is just as true for us as believers today as it was during Solomon’s time. There’s absolutely no god like our God! Our God is always faithful. He always keeps his promises to his people. He is always good and true. His love is steadfast. It endures forever. Our God alone is worthy of our praise and adoration. May we be a people who live out this prayer by walking before God with all of our hearts.
If you missed the first part of the list, you can see it here. For everyone else, here are six more passages that you would do well to memorize.
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. – Isaiah 41:10 (side note: this is one of my favorite verses in all of God’s Word! A friend sent it to me several years ago when I was having a bad day and I committed it to memory then. The Holy Spirit has been so faithful to bring it to my mind often and has prompted me many times to share it with others during difficult days.)
- Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. – John 14:1-3
- “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.” – Isaiah 43:10
- And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. – Hebrews 11:6
- For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” – Romans 1:17
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. – Hebrews 12:1-2